Firstly, thank you, THANK you, THANK YOU! to all those who have supported us through this unpredictable and often frustrating transitional period. Your prayers and financial support have been largely felt and truly, we could not do this without you. Sal and I would like to send a special thank you to our Gillette church family,
Family Life Church, for the donated van which we are confident will carry us safely across the dozen countries we’ll soon be traversing.
As we prepare to follow God’s will across borders, the wrapping up of loose ends and preparations have taken longer than expected. We just want to express our gratitude for your continued patience and understanding. However, we now have a take-off date: Monday, December 7th. After departing from Michigan, we have a short pit-stop in North Carolina and then we’ll be about 2 weeks in Austin, Texas visiting Central American consulates to ensure smooth border crossings (Truthfully nothing apart from God can “ensure” smooth border crossings, but it greatly decreases our risk of complications). This puts us crossing into Mexico within the first few days of the New Year.
Q & A
Q. How can we pray for you?
A. Please, please do pray! We cannot express how much confidence your prayers give us.
- Pray discernment for us; we’ll face many decisions during our journey plenty of which could have serious repercussions. We need to exercise wisdom and seek the Holy Spirit’s guidance continually.
- Pray for divine appointments; God’s work doesn’t stop because we are traveling from point A to point B. Along the way we’ll be keeping a keen eye out for opportunities to share the Gospel.
- Pray for open doors; we’ll be resting at YWAM bases, crossing borders and making connections on route.
- Pray divine protection over us; we’ll be crossing about a dozen borders on a trip of over 11,000 miles and even taking a boat for a short stretch into Columbia. Bandits, cartel and illness are only a few things we could run into, but the good news is that we serve a BIG God!
- Pray for a breakthrough in finances; we do not currently have sufficient funds to complete the drive and the YWAM School of Rescue and Restoration. However, we feel confident that we are moving in God’s timing and are standing on faith for His provision.
Q. How can I get your updates?
A. We are honored that you are invested in us. Request to receive our email updates by clicking on the “Contact Us” tab. We’ll send a monthly newsletter and prayer requests. Also, connect with us on Facebook if you have not done so already. Follow these links for Heather’s Facebook and Salazar’s Facebook. Email and Facebook messenger are the best ways to contact us, and we’d love your updates from home!
Q. How can we get money and/or supplies to you?
A. Thank you so much for your tangible support! We are currently able to receive cash and checks and will soon be accepting credit/debit cards through a link on this website. Donations can be tax-deductible. Please click the “Support” tab for more information.
Because we’ll be traveling extensively we don’t currently have a system to receive items. Our plan is to establish this once we’ve settled in Corrientes, Argentina.
Q. How is the money I send being spent?
A. Our most immediate financial need is traveling costs (gas, food, occasional lodging, etc.) Once we reach Argentina our greatest expenses will be living costs and schooling. The YWAM School of Rescue and Restoration is an intense three-month program. Following the school we will likely serve an internship with a YWAM home of restoration. You can find out more about the YWAM base and school at: YWAM North, Corrientes, Argentina.
Although we will be putting financial resources into sharing the Gospel from the very start of our journey, relational ministry will become our primary focus following the school. This involves things like: reaching out to street children, mentoring kids from impoverished/inner-city homes, counseling/mentoring victims of sexual exploitation and other traumatic backgrounds and always sharing the Gospel.
Q. Are you accountable to anyone?
A. Wise question! And the answer is yes, we are. Our immediate church family extends to two main churches, Family Life Church of
Gillette, Wyoming and Dwelling Place Ministries of Kingsley, Michigan. We hold ourselves accountable to the leadership of both of these congregations. In addition, our credit card processor is For a Friend, a nonprofit credit card processing company for Christian missionaries. As part of their policy, we are accountable to them for all donations made through them.